What is a doula?
A doula is someone who provides emotional and physical support to those giving birth and their partners.
While midwives and nurses will most likely be strangers to you and may change shifts during your labor, a doula is your chosen support person who is there for you from start to finish. A doula can also help you prepare for the birth and talk it over afterwards.
A doula can help you feel calm and in control in what can otherwise be a stressful situation. In fact, studies show that the rate of interventions needed (induction, cesarean, vacuum, etc) is lower for those who have the support of a doula.
What does a doula do?
As your doula, my goal is to give you all the information, tools, and resources you need to feel well prepared and supported for your birth experience. This looks different for everyone, but some of the things I can offer are:
- Meet with you (virtually or in person) twice during your pregnancy to discuss your hopes and expectations for labor
- Make a Birth Plan together
- Teach you relaxation techniques and different positions you can use during labor
- Be on-call 24/7 from two weeks before your due date until your baby arrives, to be at your side during labor to offer physical and emotional support
- Help bridge the language gap if needed (I am a native Swiss German and English speaker)
- Meet with you once after your baby is born to talk about how the birth went and bring any resources you may need
What does a postpartum doula do?
For additional support after the birth of your baby, I also offer postpartum doula packages.
In Switzerland we are fortunate enough to have 10 midwife visits covered by basic insurance (16 if it’s your first baby or you’ve had a preemie or a cesarean). The midwife can weigh your baby, check on your recovery, help with breastfeeding questions, and answer your questions about your baby’s health and development. As a postpartum doula I can:
- Do dishes, tidy up, or fold laundry
- Hold your baby while you shower or nap
- Go for a walk with you and baby
- Help you get ready to leave the house for an appointment
- Bring you healthy snacks
- Pick up groceries for you
- Provide a listening ear and someone to help you process the ups and downs of motherhood
Why might I be a good fit as your doula?
If you would like to consider having a doula at your birth, please get in touch. We’ll arrange for a time that we can meet, free of charge, to get to know each other and see whether we’re a good fit.
Labor is a very special, intimate time and you should be surrounded by people you trust and who make you feel relaxed and safe.
If we find that I’m not a good fit for you I will gladly direct you to other local doulas.
Some of the things I bring to the table:
- I have a calm, reassuring and non-judgmental presence that I bring to the room. It is your birth and I will do my best to support you and your partner in achieving the kind of birth experience you want.
- I have a background in psychology, including infant preschool mental health which covers bonding, attachment, postpartum mood disorders and child development.
- I have training in using a Rebozo and can show you and your partner how to use it during our prenatal visits as well as during labor to help you feel more comfortable and relieve tension.
- I speak Swiss German fluently which can be helpful in bridging the communication gap at local hospitals during labor.
Pampered Pregnancy Package
Premium Pregnancy Package
Practical Pregnancy Package
Included in my postpartum doula fee are 10 hours during which I will support you in your transition as new/growing families. How you use these hours is up to you and could include:
Pampered Postpartum Package
Premium Postpartum Package
Practical Postpartum Package
At this time I am accepting Doula clients within Canton Zürich and Postpartum clients within a 30 minute radius of Zürich City. If you aren’t sure whether your area is covered, please get in touch.