What is a doula?
A doula is someone who provides emotional and physical support before, during, and after childbirth.
While midwives and nurses will most likely be strangers to you and may change shifts during your labor, a doula is your chosen support person who is there for you from start to finish. A doula can also help you prepare for the birth and talk it over afterwards.
A doula can help you feel calm and in control in what can otherwise be a stressful situation. In fact, studies show that the rate of interventions needed (induction, cesarean, vacuum, etc) is lower for those who have the support of a doula.
What does a doula do?
As your doula, my goal is to give you all the information, tools, and resources you need to feel well prepared and supported for your birth experience. This looks different for everyone, but some of the things I can offer are:
- Meet with you (virtually or in person) twice during your pregnancy to discuss your hopes and expectations for labor
- Make a Birth Plan together
- Teach you relaxation techniques and different positions you can use during labor
- Be on-call 24/7 from two weeks before your due date until your baby arrives, to be at your side during labor to offer physical and emotional support
- Help bridge the language gap if needed (I am a native Swiss German and English speaker)
- Meet with you once after your baby is born to talk about how the birth went and bring any resources you may need
What does a postpartum doula do?
For additional support after the birth of your baby, I also offer postpartum doula packages.
In Switzerland we are fortunate enough to have 10 midwife visits covered by basic insurance (16 if it’s your first baby or you’ve had a preemie or a cesarean). The midwife can weigh your baby, check on your recovery, help with breastfeeding questions, and answer your questions about your baby’s health and development. As a postpartum doula I can:
- Do dishes, tidy up, or fold laundry
- Hold your baby while you shower or nap
- Go for a walk with you and baby
- Help you get ready to leave the house for an appointment
- Bring you healthy snacks
- Pick up groceries for you
- Provide a listening ear and someone to help you process the ups and downs of motherhood
Why might I be a good fit as your doula?
If you are considering having a doula at your birth, please get in touch. After you fill out my inquiry form you will be able to book a free introductory call where we can chat and see whether we’re a good fit.
Labor is a very special, intimate time and you should be surrounded by people you trust and who make you feel relaxed and safe.
If we find that I’m not a good fit for you I will gladly direct you to other local doulas.
Some of the things I bring to the table:
- I have a calm, reassuring and non-judgmental presence that I bring to the room. It is your birth and I will do my best to support you and your partner in achieving the kind of birth experience you want.
- I have a background in psychology, including infant preschool mental health which covers bonding, attachment, postpartum mood disorders and child development.
- I have training in using a Rebozo and can show you and your partner how to use it during our prenatal visits as well as during labor to help you feel more comfortable and relieve tension.
- I speak Swiss German fluently which can be helpful in bridging the communication gap at local hospitals during labor.
Basic Birth Doula Package
Pampered Pregnancy Package
Practical Pregnancy Package
Premium Pregnancy Package
All services detailed in the Basic Doula Package
One 60-minute Massage from Susy Robison Wellness Massage in Zürich
Two-part babywearing Consultation, one in pregnancy and one once baby is born
Basic Postpartum Doula Package
Included in my postpartum doula fee are 10 hours during which I will support you in your transition as new/growing families. How you use these hours is up to you and could include:
Pampered Postpartum Package
Practical Postpartum Package
Premium Postpartum Package
10 hours of postpartum doula care
Postpartum Basket with useful items and tips
One 60-minute Massage from Susy Robison Wellness Massage, during which I will care for your new baby
5 meals per week for two people for two weeks from eatshomemade, a service that will bring you fresh homemade meals from local cooks. Meals can be specialized to accommodate allergies and preferences.
One Babywearing Consultation with me, 1.5-2 hours
frequently asked questions
Is a doula a replacement for a midwife?
No. A doula is not a medical professional. This means that as your doula I will not diagnose you or your baby, monitor your baby’s heart, assess its position, or perform vaginal exams.
Will a doula replace my partner?
No. If you have a partner who is available and willing to support you during your birth, that is amazing. The connection you have and the ‘insider knowledge’ he/she has of you will be invaluable during labor. As your doula I will come along side both you and your partner and support you both. I can get you snacks or go get a midwife so that your partner can stay by your side, or I can stay with you when partner needs a break.
If my labor takes a long time, will I be charged extra?
No. I will stay with you throughout your labor, no matter how long it takes. I have a flat fee that does not get reduced in the case of a fast labor, nor does it increase for a long labor. This allows you to focus on your birth experience and not worry about how long it is taking.
If I go into labor earlier than 2 weeks before my due date, will you still come?
Yes! As of 2 weeks before your due date and until your baby is born I will be on-call for you 24/7 in case labor starts. Before that time I cannot guarantee my availability, but please call me if you think you are going into labor, I would love to be at your birth if at all possible.
What locations do you serve?
At this time I am accepting Doula clients within Canton Zürich and Postpartum clients within a 30 minute radius of Zürich City. If you aren’t sure whether your area is covered, please get in touch.
What if I’m having a cesarean?
If you are having a planned cesarean and would like to chat about the benefits of having a doula in that scenario, please get in touch. I have accompanied several women who have had a cesarean (planned and unplanned) and all of them were grateful to have the extra support. If you are having a planned cesarean, in lieu of being on-call before the birth I will come for a 3-hour postpartum visit (in addition to the regular postpartum visit) to help you around the house in any way I can.
Ready to get started?
Please fill out the inquiry form below, after which you will directly be able to book a free introductory call with me.